Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Zero Calorie Shaved Asparagus Salad

 
According to eatingwell.com; Eating asparagus may help protect against and fight certain forms of cancer, such as bone, breast, colon, larynx and lung cancers. Asparagus is a very good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. It is also packed with antioxidants, ranking among the top fruits and vegetables for its ability to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals. This, according to preliminary research, may help slow the aging process.


Asparagus is also a zero calorie food. Meaning it takes more energy to burn than the calories it provides. So this salad is something you can eat all day long if you wish. We were surprised how much we loved it and it will now be a regular dish in our home. 


Zero Calorie Shaved Asparagus Salad 
12 ounces asparagus, trimmed
2 tablespoons braggs amino acids
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground black, to taste
1 cup of your favorite lettuce


Shave asparagus into long thin strands using a vegetable peeler or mandolin. Soak the strands in a large bowl of ice water for one hour. Drain well and dry with paper towels.
To make the dressing combine braggs amino acid, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Whisk until blended. Pour the dressing over the asparagus and toss well. Arrange over a bed of lettuce. Serve immediately

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to try this. We love asparagus in my house. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to try this. We love asparagus in my house. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I just found your blogthrough pinterest and will follow,I need to change my way of foods and prepping and eating. I am so very excited about your recipes I am sure I can manage these and also keep to a lower weight in doing so thanks so much for taking the time so post and create these original dishes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!